“Art Works For Us” is a public sculpture/outdoor art tour through Floyd County VA.
The Floyd Center for the Arts is pleased to continue and expand our public art program, “Art Works For Us”, through 2018. We are now calling for interested businesses and landowners, and artists, to apply to the program.
How to Participate:
Business or Landowner: you can participate by providing a venue for displaying a sculpture or other outdoor artwork, this program will be a chance to express their own individuality and their support for the creative spirit that is Floyd. Business and private landowners can indicate their interest in hosting artwork by filling out an interest form with information about their property.
Local or Regional Artist: are encouraged to produce large-scale work for public display. This is an invitation to lend their creativity and vision to be part of Floyd’s aesthetic environment. Artists are asked to fill out an application describing their artwork. Photos or sketches of their artwork will be required.
The Plan and Costs:
- Businesses/Landowners Interest Forms and Applications from Artists are due Tuesday, June 13, 2017. (Download the applications by clicking the links or stop by the Center to pick up printed forms!)
- The Center will review all forms and pair artists with appropriate sites.
- Businesses/Landowners will have the final approval of the artwork and asked to pay the participating site fee of $100 to the Center by July 31, 2017.
- The Floyd Center for the Arts will pay the accepted Artists an honorarium of $500 after the artwork is installed. These funds are provided by a grant from the NRV Community Foundation.
- Artists will work with Business/Landowners to install artwork in August 2017.
- Artwork will be on display for one calendar year. At that time Business/Landowners may choose to purchase the artwork from the artist.
- The trail includes an interactive map and signage at each artwork site.
Benefits of Participating:
According to the NRV Livability Report “Developing arts and cultural activities to serve as a “community draw” can stimulate business activity, attract tourism revenue, and help retain high quality employers and employees by creating highly desirable places in which to raise a family, work and retire.“ The “Art Works For Us” program offers exactly what this report is referring to, both artists and business/landowners will gain visibility in our community. Public artwork may lead to other commissioned pieces for the artists. Businesses may see increased attention by tourists and locals, and in turn increased profit. The use of an online interactive map allows tourists to easily navigate to other trail sites and increase traffic to the business that the artwork is installed at.