Saturday, June 24, 2017
Buy Tickets online below or contact the Center!
Tickets $30 including gourmet box lunch
The third annual Floyd House and Garden Tour will feature five county homes that are the most diverse in size, age and history than on previous tours presented by the Floyd Center for the Arts.
The first two tours were successful fund raisers for the Arts Center (previously Jacksonville Center for the Arts). “We expect this year’s tour will attract crowds equal to or greater than the last two years,” said Linda Fallon, the art center’s board president.
About the 2017 Tour:
The 2017 House and Garden Tour features five very different homes, ranging in age from more than 150 years to two built about four years ago.
Largest and oldest is Glenanna, located at 204 West Main Street (Rt. 221 South), Floyd VA and owned by Sam and Dolly Moore. This handsome brick Greek Revival home dates from 1849, one of the two oldest in Floyd. Its 12-foot-high ceilings, original American Chestnut floors in two rooms, and many antiques and family pieces are everywhere. A sleek new kitchen (built by Floyd’s Don George), gardens set off by a 100-year-old iron fence, a glass conservatory – and two horses in the back meadow – are among the house’s many attractions. To the right of the front door hangs the original handbill advertising the house for sale on Christmas Day, 1869. (It was sold for $1,825.) A front porch plaque proclaims its listing on the State and National registers of Historic Places. The high ceilinged interior is full of fine antiques, several with associations with Jefferson Davis and Jeb Stuart.
Another large house, Scionhaven, located at 1947 Indian Valley Post Office Road in Willis, VA owned by Rodger and Sherry Foster. This home is 17 miles south of the Floyd stoplight, off 221 in the Dugspur-Willis area and looks across a spacious meadow toward Greasy Creek. Though contemporary and many-windowed in its exterior, the interior shows the owners’ love for Victorian décor and furniture. Telephones, lighting, furniture and accessories all reflect the owners’ love of the period. Exceptional woodwork is evident throughout. Antiques include the oak cabinet with curved glass doors holding a collection of butter molds in the entry and a working hand-cranked wall phone. There are fine finishing details in many of the rooms – including a “mousehole” in a door leading to the basement for use by the couple’s four cats.
The old farmhouse located at 471 Deerfield Road, Floyd, VA (off Route 615 north of the stoplight) is owned by Scott Stephens and Camille Williams. The home has the distinct charm that combining layers of peeling wallpaper with interesting antiques and found objects can bring to old country rooms. The house was originally a log cabin, c.1870, with three sections added over the years. It retains country appeal with family-made quilts, artwork by one of the owners, and an imaginative use of antique and vintage pieces. The young owners of this updated farmhouse have kept much of the old house’s original look. Antique and vintage accessories from the Floyd area add an off-the-cuff charm to the two-story house. A sliding barn door, for example, is “the window treatment” in the main room. The house’s oldest piece may be a c.1820’s mirror upstairs.
Several miles off 221 North, past the “Finn Family Farm” sign, and up a short gravel hill, stands the one-story house designed by its owners, Andy and Jenny Finn. The Finn’s home situated on 95 acres of mostly uninhabited land is located at 733 Cannaday School Road, SE in Floyd County, VA. Its designed to take advantage of a spectacular view of forests, scattered houses, and the Blue Ridge Parkway beyond. The house reflects the Finns’ “elemental approach,” and a wish to downsize from their previous Colorado home. Pine timber framing in the soaring main room gives the open space “a kind of monastery quality” the owners feel. A rock fireplace’s wood stove and south-facing windows heat the entire house. They value simplicity, as seen in the living area: a soaring timber frame, open-plan space, with precise, thoughtful details, such as the wood pegs in the ceiling arches.
The tour’s last house is owned by Charlie and Glenda Brouwer and located at 268 Akers Road, NW in Willis, VA , and may be known to some visitors. Charlie’s sculpture studio and trail featuring a parade of his iconic stacked ladders and huge wooden figures have been open before, but this is the first time the house and Glenda’s lush gardens will be open to visitors. The house’s interior, partly built by the Brouwers and friends, has many visual artworks expressed in wood sculpture, ceramics, stained glass, paintings and more. Much of the work made by the sculptor himself, as well as by Glenda, young and old family members, and art colleagues around the U.S. Throughout the house and studio are the crescents that are something of a signature for Charlie: curved pieces of painted wood, often inscribed with words from the Bible or, perhaps, Thoreau, placed over doorways or windows. The studio and nearby sculpture trail feature the stacked ladders and huge walking figures Brouwer is known for and are open to the public from time to time. This is a first- time tour for the house and Glenda’s gardens surrounding it. In the den, a unique piece: two framed samples of Christo’s orange fabric “Gates,” his famed outdoor work in New York’s Central Park.
Buy Your Tickets Now!
Click the “Add to Cart” Paypal Button below.
You can add additional tickets at the Paypal Site!
The tour is underwritten by Union Bank and will be held, rain or shine, from 9 am to 5 pm Saturday, June 24. Tickets are $30 each and include a gourmet box lunch from a local caterer. For more information, please call the Center for the Arts at (540)745-2784, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.floydartcenter.org
Brochures for the tour will be available at The Floyd Center for the Arts mid-May.
Sponsored by Union Bank and Trust